Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Themes and such...

1. I think that theme is very important in writing. If a piece of literature does not have a compelling theme it does not hold as much interest to the reader. For example, books that are about a certain character’s development, rather than the events that lead up to that development do not interest me at all. Books, such as Catcher in the Rye, that are solely about a character’s thoughts and reactions generally do not hold a very good theme, it is more of an opinion.

2. A theme that I might consider communicating through my play could be something about the division between political views. People, mainly teens, often tend to see things the way that their parents do, and call themselves liberal or conservative just because their parents do. They don’t take the time to watch the news or political debates between candidates. They don’t take the time to sit down and honestly consider how they feel about abortion or war or gay rights. They just adapt to their parents beliefs and views and go from there. I think this is bad thing because we are not standing up for what we really want.

3. A conflict that I could potentially write about in my play could be divorce. Although my parents have been happily married for 27 years, and I have never experienced the devastation of divorce first hand, I know that it is a huge obstacle for children to overcome. It is also becoming more common every day. Our generation will actually have a bigger chance of getting divorced than we will of staying married.

1 comment:

hayley said...

I completely agree with you in the fact so many kids adopt the views of their parents. I also think media has it's toll on people too which goes with your idea of actually sitting down to listen to each side and what each candidates plan is.

I also like your idea of incorporating the conflict of divorce considering it has become such a great issue in our generation. It's sad to see so many people have to struggle with that conflict.